Monday, May 13, 2013

My girls

Coud not be more different. Sometimes it surprises me how much they look alike in older pictures, because it's crazy to me that they could look so similar and be so different.

Jade is quiet. Piper is loud. Jade likes to read. Piper likes to climb. Jade likes to color. Piper likes to eat crayons (I'm hoping she grows out of that one!).


Ok, little (huge) confession here: sometimes I have no clue what to do with Piper. I can't keep up with her. She's always one step ahead of me. I think I've figured out something she likes? Nope, doesn't like it any more. Let's blow bubbles!! "No mama, let me hit that bubble wand out of your hand because I obviously don't want to do that anymore!" Completely hypothetical situation, of course.

Jade? Her I can usually figure out. I can see the meltdowns coming. And although I usually can't stop them from happening, she's older and generally calms down faster. She didn't throw fits at 17 months. Not like the ones Piper does anyways.


What's so amazing to me is that God made them both. Ok, I know that sounds like a "duh" statement but my goodness it is SO true. He made them both just the way He wanted them. And while I love them more than I could possibly describe, He loves them FAR more than that and designed them just the way they are. He gave them their personalities for a purpose. My job is simply (ok, there's nothing simple about it, but you get my gist) to find their natural abilities and pour myself into teaching them how to use those for Him. To discipline the yucky stuff, but show them how great the rest of them is.


I don't have to try to make Jade more like Piper or Piper more like Jade. Or either one of them more like me. I just have to help mold them to be the best version of themselves. To show Jade that sometimes we have to be brave and climb even when we're scared. To show Piper that sometimes it's good to sit and read a while. But also to show Jade that there is nothing wrong with reading for hours on end- that using your brain is amazing and good and important. And to show Piper that climbing and screaming and standing up for yourself and what you want is amazing and good and important.


To show them that no matter how different they are, that they can be each other's champions. Can cheer for each other. Can use their abilities and inclinations to serve God and His Kingdom. Such a high calling I have.

No comments: