Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11th

This day always leaves me feeling a little sad. I was a senior in high school in September of 01 and was in computer lab when they announced the crash into the first tower. We turned on the TV and saw the crash into the second tower. The rest of the day, all we did was watch TV in class. I remember that all of the Ft Benning kids were excused from all after-school activities because it was taking so long to get onto post.

But mostly, I remember the patriotic craze that swept the nation. Columbus is a pretty patriotic place all the time, but all of a sudden there were American flags everywhere and everyone was pro-military.

Recently, a C-17 crashed at Elmendorf. The 4 men on board (1 of which I knew) were killed on impact. I have a friend on Facebook that was really upset by this crash... but not because there were men killed, because of how expensive the jets are. I wonder if his attitude towards military spending would be different if our country were attacked again? It's amazing to me how quickly people forget what really matters.

No comments: