Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I am proud to report

That I ate a cheeseburger yesterday. For those of you that don't know, I haven't had dairy in about 3.5 months. Jade's little digestive system couldn't handle it and every time I had so much of a smidgen of cheese, she turned into a little screaming devil baby.

Since I love breastfeeding so much, AND since my little angel will.not take a bottle, which left me with no choice but to love breastfeeding, I cut out all dairy. For those of you thinking "no biggie", you're wrong. The first week was awful because all of a sudden I realized that everything has dairy in it. Couldn't eat my English muffins for breakfast. No mashed potatoes. No sour cream on my burritos. No chocolate. No desserts at all. No ranch dressing to dip my wings in. No cheese dip at Mexican restaurants. No casseroles. I was especially dreading Thanksgiving and Christmas because most of my favorite foods would be off limits.

After the first couple weeks, it wasn't so bad, but it still wasn't very much fun because I love cheese :)

Last week, at Jade's 6-month well-check visit, I talked to her doctor about it and she said I could try to re-introduce dairy very gradually and see how it goes. Some babies grow out of it by 4 months, some 6, and some not until a year (or even later).

So Tuesday, I put a little itty bitty bit of milk in my coffee. No reaction. Wednesday, I put my (old) normal amount of milk in my coffee. No reaction. Thursday, I put milk in my coffee and ate 2 spoonfulls of yogurt. No reaction. Friday, I ate an entire thing of yogurt (albeit not in one sitting). No reaction.

I talked to the lactation consultant and she said that at some point, I was just going to have to decide it was worth it and take the plunge. So I decided that yesterday was the day. Chuck and I went to Five Guys for lunch and I had a juicy, cheesy burger. And Jade is fine.

I cannot tell you how happy I am. Now if I can just figure out how to keep all the weight I lost off and still eat everything I've been missing :)

No comments: