Saturday, August 20, 2011

Why do I do this?

When I first started this blog, it was solely for my family and any far away friends that wanted to keep up with my pregnancy with Jade. It was also a nice place for me to document things that are going on, because my journal-keeping habits have waned since high school and my poor kids are gonna get baby books with 1/3 of the information filled out.

With that said, this blog makes it look like my entire life is being pregnant and Jade. And I don't like that. Sometimes, as a stay-at-home-mom, that's what I feel like already. And it bugs me. I'm a person... with likes and interests and (currently) pregnancy insomnia. So why would I purposefully put stuff out there that perpetuates the stereotype that as a SAHM, all I care about is my kid?

I don't know. But that's what I'm doing. And I want it to change.

Because of this, I've been giving this little blog a lot of thought lately. Trying to decide to just keep it what it is, or to jump head-first into the blogging world and make it more. There is a HUGE network of bloggers out there... bloggers that write things that I enjoy reading. And I know that I could write things that strangers enjoy reading. But first they have to know about it. I have to go to the effort to leave comments, say hi, and link back to this page. But do I really want to do that? Do I really want this to start becoming a bit of "work"?

I actually think that I do. I miss writing with a purpose. There are things in this world that I really care about- and if I don't have an outlet for those things in my own blog, where will I? I don't update as much as I should because oftentimes, my posts bore me. I want to write about more. I'm afraid that this will mean boring some of my current readers (hi, dad), but you guys can skim the "boring" stuff and only read the Jade posts. I'm cool with that.

So what does this mean? I don't know. I hesitate to even publish this because you guys probably won't notice many changes at first. Heck, you might not notice many changes for a while. But I'm going to try to network more, and write more about things that matter to me. It'll be a gradual process, but hopefully one day this blog is something that I'll actually be proud of.

And because a post with no pictures is boring, here are some gems from my iPhone:
My new wrap!

With daddy on the beach in NC

First time Chuck wrapped Jade on his back 

Hanging out with Belle, eating a shoe

Brushing Zoe with her My Little Pony brush

Put her new vest on as a cape and had a hanger hanging around her straw

Going for the basket!

1 comment:

Jessica Ilsen said...

I am in favor of this, just to throw out my thoughts :)